What makes the Law Offices of Susan E. Mack, P.A. distinctive? Ms. Mack replies that these qualities demonstrate how she practices law and conducts alternative dispute resolution (ADR) proceedings:
- Commitment to Fairness and
- Focus on Results, rather than Process.
A lawyer in active practice for 39 years, Ms. Mack’s career milestones encompass:
- Successfully negotiating with Lloyd’s, London to collect over $40 million in overdue reinsurance receivables pertaining to asbestos and hazardous waste casualty claims as well as complex property claims.
- Leading Law and Compliance Departments as the first female General Counsel in both life/health and property/casualty reinsurers.
- As a corporate counsel, managing multiple arbitrations of up to $250 million each in controversy to dispositive awards in favor of her corporate client.
- Concluding large-scale asset acquisitions, stock acquisitions and joint ventures.
- Starting up captive insurers, reinsurers and insurers.
- Structuring complex reinsurance transactions, including treaty and trust drafting and associated negotiations.
- Conducting large-scale corporate and insurance regulatory compliance audits and cyber-security audits
Alternative Dispute Resolution Practice
A co-founder of the ARIAS-US Arbitration Society and the first female director of this organization dedicated to the resolution of insurance and reinsurance disputes, Ms. Mack has been appointed as a neutral or party-appointed arbitrator in 120 arbitration proceedings. Since 2001, she has continuously maintained her credentials with ARIAS-US as a certified umpire, certified arbitrator and qualified mediator.
Ms. Mack is also an American Arbitration Association neutral, appearing on that arbitration society’s Commercial and Healthcare lists. She is also listed as an arbitrator on the list of the American Health Lawyers Association.
While Ms. Mack welcomes all ADR referrals, her areas of focus encompass:
- Life, long-term care and disability insurance disputes.
- Annuity disputes
- Medical Stop Loss disputes, particularly between insurers and providers.
- Other Accident and Health controversies
- Casualty disputes, including both personal and commercial lines and such exposures as asbestos, hazardous waste, toxic tort and sexual molestation.
- Surety and Fidelity
Ms. Mack boasts C-suite experience as a General Counsel, Chief Compliance Officer, Chief Claims Officer and Chief Contracts Officer of both life/health and property/casualty companies. Importantly, she has served as a business executive in charge of Transamerica Reinsurance’s Accident and Health book of business, primarily consisting of medical stop loss policies. Accordingly, Ms. Mack’s experience qualifies her as a former or retired executive officer of insurance and reinsurance companies. Her insurer and reinsurer senior employment includes:
- Head Reinsurance Counsel ………………………………. Aetna Casualty and Surety Insurance Company
- General Counsel and Claims Vice President ………. St. Paul Re, Inc.
- SVP and General Counsel ………………………………… Transamerica Reinsurance
- SVP, General Counsel and Secretary …………………. The Main Street America Group
- Secretary and General Counsel …………………………. Royal Neighbors of America.
Expert Witness Referrals
Susan E. Mack has provided expert witness reports and testimony in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York, the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey and New York state court. She has also served as an expert witness in reinsurance arbitrations in both the U.S. and Canada.
Areas in which she has been sought after as an expert witness to date include:
- Life reinsurance custom and practice
- Property/casualty reinsurance custom and practice
- Property/casualty reinsurance claims, extending to the scope of claims audits.
- The nature and extent of the follow-the fortunes and follow-the settlements doctrines
- Workers Compensation premium calculations
- Retrocession claim handling
Susan E. Mack As A Lawyer To Corporate Clients
Many law firms hold themselves out to be “outside general counsel” to their corporate clients, but those experiences pale in comparison to those of lawyers –such as Ms. Mack– who have served alongside their clients, learned their businesses, and advised them in both good times and bad. When Ms. Mack counsels her corporate clients, she brings a depth of practical experience and financial acumen to resolve their issues.
In the insurance and reinsurance industries, Ms. Mack is one of a handful of legal counsel with hands-on experience in both the life/health and property/casualty sectors. Ms. Mack’s national practice centers about counseling clients in the formation, licensure, regulation and purchase and sale of reinsurers, insurers and related entities, including brokers and agents, claim administrators, managing general underwriters, managing general agencies and service providers. Captive insurer formation and captive-related issues are part of Ms. Mack’s focus. Structuring and negotiating reinsurance treaties and trusts remains a significant part of her practice.